PADDLING FOR OVER 30 YEARS
Trek & Trail was founded in 1978 by Mary and Greg Sweval. It began as a XC ski shop in Bessemer, MI and also provided winter adventure. In 1986 it opened a retail store and sea kayaking center in Bayfield providing trips and education among the Apostle Islands.
T&T also had kayaking centers in Door County & Duluth, ran international trips to Mexico and Lake Biakal and offered dog sled rides in Bayfield during the winter. T&T scaled back over the years as Greg moved on to other ventures. Mary solely continued T&T and concentrated on growing the Bayfield location. Scott Kluver and Rob & Lynn Riemer, who have all been guides and staff for T&T for many years, acquired T&T in 2014 when Mary decided to retire. They have a deep rooted passion to keep T&T going strong for many years to come. They are officially KR Kayaking LLC DBA Trek and Trail.
Rob Riemer, Owner/Guide
Lynn Riemer, Manager
Scott Kluver, Owner/Guide
WHY WE ARE THE BEST.
- We are the original sea kayak tour company for this area, and the only one conveniently located right in Bayfield, with 30-plus years of safely running kayaking trips within the Apostle Islands.
- We have expertly trained guides & friendly staff.
- We use safe, sturdy, roto-molded tandem kayaks for our adventures & have high quality plastic or fiberglass kayaks & gear available for rent.
- We have a beautiful sandy beach to launch and do our instruction from.
- We have the best location—right in the city of Bayfield! We’re in the “Cooperage” an 1800’s building on the National Historic Registry which includes a small museum in house. We’re right next to the Madeline Island Ferry dock in downtown Bayfield.
- We offer 1/2 day sea cave tours for those with limited time.
- Our included lunches and overnight meals are specially catered from Coco’s, a Washburn bakery offering many fresh & local ingredients helping support our local economy and farmers.
- We have a fully stocked retail store carrying all items you might need or may have forgotten to bring for camping or kayaking, and even Mt.bikes for rent to ride around Bayfield.
- We carry name brand gear such as Patagonia, TEVA, Snap Dragon, Seattle Sports, NRS, MTI, etc. and have plenty of momentos to bring back with you.
- New and used kayaks are always for sale from Current Designs, Necky, and P&H. Also new and used paddles from Werner & Lendal as well as all other necessary gear such as wet suits, PFD’s, safety equipment, and car racks.
“Your first experience will last you a lifetime… but you will want to come back for more!”-Krystal W.
“Went on an awesome 3 day kayaking trip with these guys an had a blast. You won’t regret it.”-Ben B.
“I highly recommend T&T, very reasonable with quality employees that guide you with expertise!!!”-R.S.
Hours: 8am – 5pm, Memorial Day – Early Oct,
Closed Tuesdays thru September
Commitment to Safety
With one of the world’s largest lakes as our day to day office, we are committed to continuous rescue and safety development both on and off the water. Each spring (and weekly training meetings) our guides and mentors work through ACA Level 1-3 and WFA certification to keep our adventures just as safe as they are fun.